M series distributor vent system

From: Wes Knettle (wsknettl@centurytel.net)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 07:52:56 PDT

Based on my experience the vacuum powered vent system on the M series
autolite systems when disabled or plugged in high temp geographic areas
tends to shorten the life of the coils. I won't argue all the goodies a
vent system can do for a sealed distributor but I am convinced cooling
is one of them. The Army training references I have found are the system
is there to "vent and to remove moisture from the waterproof
distributors". Common sense dictates that the act of venting provides
fresh clean cool air and the result is the purging of stale contaminated
hot air. Next to incorrect applied voltages and mechanical ineptitude
heat is the ignition coil's greatest enemy. The M series sealed
distributors if not vented will build up tremendous heat levels which
will shorten coil life measurably. Next time you pull in your driveway
and shut down after a trip put your hand on the distributor housing!

Wes K