Re: [MV] Kansas say no to Ferrets

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 17:21:11 PDT

On Aug 1, 2005, at 7:55 PM, Robert Peterson wrote:

> If it's equipment, and not registerable, that does
> mean it can be road transported, except on interstate
> highways and turnpikes, does it not?
> Cranes, well drills, forklifts, and other equipment
> can be transported thus.

I'm sure it is dependent upon the particular state rules, but I'd be
surprised if there wasn't a distance limitation. I know around here
farm equipment is allowed on public ways, but only for x number of
feet. Same with ATVs and snowmobiles. The logic is that these
vehicles are not supposed to be on the road and therefore are being
granted a reasonable exception for situations when it is unavoidable.
If you need to move a forklift from one side of town to the other you
are therefore required to haul it there by some other mode of transport
(like a trailer).

There is a guy in town that got arrested for driving his ride-on
lawnmower into town one fine afternoon. Lesson for today is that a
ride-on lawnmower is not a clever way around logistics issues resulting
from losing your driver's license (twice IIRC) for DWI offenses.
Especially when you do it so drunk that you can barely stay on while
yelling garbled obscenities at people.

Steve