sticky valve on M35 diesel fixed and other mysteries resolved

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 20:26:31 PDT

sticky valve.. Ok, well all I can say is it went away now that I
am driving the truck alot more. It must have been from starting
it only occasionally and then not letting it run till warmed up.

A diesel mechanic said also that if you do not let a diesel warm
up enough and then load it only lightly, you can get something
called "wet stacking" which means that unburnt fuel residue and
goop ends up in places it should not, and it can cause valves to
stick and similar issues.

So there's the end of the great 'ticking engine mystery'. Nothing
wrong with it at all, just needed to be let warm up completely
and then 100 miles put on it at 45-55MPH.

And as to why it seems to be a dog, the load in the bed is
6000LBS and the trailer is 3100 loaded.. Lets see, 13500lb truck
with a 130HP engine carrying/pulling 9100 lbs uphill. I see now..
It's like asking Grandma to lug that 68 lb. RT524 up the stairs.

Dang she runs just fine. (the truck, not Grandma)

PJ