Re: [MV] disc brake pressure, et al

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 23:55:42 PDT

Logically what you say makes sense.

But, think about this scenario:

An M35 with moving forward.
All 9x20's spinning in the same direction.
The brakes are applied fully and for some reason the wheel brakes don't
work- yet the pinion brake works and locks the drive shaft (better have
the clutch in fully?).
One wheel in the dual tandem set has tremendous traction, the other is
on ice.
The wheel on ice decellerates, stops, and reverses direction?

I think this scenario is very unlikely realistically. There may be a
tendency for one wheel to slow and begin to stop since it has little
traction but I seriously doubt it would get anywhere close to reversing
direction. Besides if the road conditions are that extreme perhaps the
M35 should not be on the road anyway, or at least it should be moving
very slowly??? Even if it did reverse direction, the worse thing that
would happen is that the effect of the pinion brake would be negated or
non-effective in that situation. I can see why pinion brakes are not
used as main vehicle brakes, however I think it is a litle ironic that
the safety brake or parking brake is effectively a pinion brake.

The same type of criticism has been made against vehicles with
positraction. If you get in a condition where one wheel is on ice and
the other is on pavement and you hit the gas, the vehicle will tend to
turn itself due to the uneven traction. The argument against
positraction is that it would be better to simply have the one wheel
slip and the vehicle lose traction and rather than have the vehicle
swerve under acceleration. But from a practical standpoint Positraction
can keep you from getting stuck in marginal conditions.

Dave