Re: [MV] disc brake pressure, et al

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 03:58:50 PDT

MV,
It's not an unlikely situation at all. When you are operating your vehicle
on a side slope and the drums lose their efficiency for some reason (water
perhaps), the pinion brake will easily make the wheel(s) on the "uphill
side" spin.
As far as the deuce's hand brake being a pinion brake, that's correct, but
you have separate control over it. It doesn't operate via the master
cylinder. The same goes for engine braking, which is driveline braking, but
you have separate control over it. Automatic transmissions and ABS makes
things more complicated and yes, locking diffs would help a lot off-road,
may be dangerous on the road, don't know, no experience here.

Driving slowly and off-road probably wouldn't create the need for extra
braking power anyway. It's the emergency situations and long downhill runs
that needs extra braking power.
Going downhill can almost always be accomplished without brakes with the
right speed/gear combination so, we are down to emergency situations,
transmission pops out of gear while driving downhill or the need for a
sudden stop. Those would be (are) my primary concerns.

The drum brakes SHOULD be able to handle the sudden stops (clean, dry
brakes) perhaps with the aid of the emergency brake. It's that long downhill
run with the transmission out of gear that will need the extra brakes for
heat dissipation. Here, the pinion mounted disks will help. Keep in mind
that the disks would have to be rather large to equal the heat dissipating
ability of the drums on the deuce otherwise you will have fading here as
well.
How large I don't know, but it should be calculated by the designer and made
known to the user.

There are aslo electric driveline brakes (Telma), or "retarders" as they are
called, but they are operated separately from the service brakes.

The drums can be made more efficient at dissipating heat by drilling holes
along the shoe/drum contact area. This will dissipate the gases formed when
the pads get hot and also make them essentially self cleaning.

To be safe if there is a mechanical failure, install a split braking system.

Bjorn
MVPA19212
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia