Re: [MV] Solenoid for CUCV

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 08:50:36 PDT

>From a post by you quoting Julian Burke:

"<If your glow plug relay (GPR) looks like an "dimmer switch" (long snout
type) replace it <now with a new one. A GPR109 from NAPA works just fine
and will fit the footprint. It is a <Ford style, and you will have to find
new nuts for the terminals but will retrofit. Also to <make a better
starting system, connect the feed of the relay to the 12 volt buss directly
above <the relay a taking the red wire from the glow bar resistor and
connecting it directly to that 12 <volt buss."

and from John Doherty....
"Well, I remembered making the note about using a NAPA Echlin AR135 relay
for
a replacement, and picked one up. But, it doesn't work as is, and a new AC
Delco 15591718 relay works perfectly. Made me curious.

I noticed the extra blade on the AR135, and need to find out what I didn't
note earlier about the replacement. Is there a jumper wire or something
that needs to be installed to make the AR135 relay work? Anyone got the
explanation of the differences.?

I did notice that both the AC Delco and the Echlin were both manufactured in
China.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good ol' made in the USA heavy duty
replacement that works as a plug in?

Thanks
John Doherty
Henagar, AL"

And from Bruce Beattie in reply to John's post...

 "Hi John,
    A while back, I had a problem with the starting system and I
replaced the relay with
the AC Delco 15591718. Turned out that that wasn't the problem. I kept
the take out
though. It wasn't very long before this chinese dog dropping failed. I
put the take out back
in and it worked fine ever since.
    When I saw your post, I decided to open up the bad relay and take a
look at it, since
I hadn't thrown it out yet. The contact area is just a stamping with a
bump in it. It was fused
together and I noticed two other blobs of molten metel next to it.

Please let us know if anyone finds a source of "made in USA" relays for
this app.

Bruce MVPA 23824"

Pick one and let us know!
Ronzo