MVPA does more than sell magazines

From: Employee at MILVEHCO (milveh@dslextreme.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 08:14:00 PDT

Kent, with all due respect, actually they do a lot more than just magazine
subscriptions. The MVPA coordinates and facilitates a lot of MV events
here in the USA and around the world. They educate members, recruit new
members, promote the hobby, provide a library of research material and
even lobby as needed, all on behalf of this hobby and folks like you.
Even though you don't support them financially you still derive many of
their benefits indirectly.

The MVPA is really just people like you and me who volunteer their
valuable time. You know how hard it is to get volunteers organized, every
task is a major undertaking and a potential controversy. Now you want
them to get involved in getting discounts on retail parts? Actually, they
do have some retail, but it's promotional items and thats good enough for
me. Maybe some day your MVPA card will get a discount when presented at
certain retailers, but that is more up to the retailers than as a
coordinated MVPA project. I can see how it "might" lead to some
complications, hard feelings or anxiety amongst some of their advertisers
if they are pressured to give MVPA members a discount.

You were probably well meaning, but maybe now you can undertsand why the
MVPA might be reluctant to jump on your idea? You also should join the
organization, I think you would like it. The small amount in dues offers
an awful lot in exchange for all they do.

Thats my 2 cents