Re: [MV] M1009 rubber floor mat

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 21:18:05 PDT

This is what I do.

Remove all of the rust possible and repair what you need to so you have
some solid metal. You can buy weld over rockers or weld in rocker
panels to replace your existing ones. Paint it properly. Then apply
rustproofing compound to the interior surfaces and underbody surfaces.
Check periodically for rust and recoat as necessary. The stuff is
better than paint. It creeps into joints. But it needs to be
maintained. Inspect once a year, and recoat as necessary, etc.

Daubert Chemical is a big maker of rustproofing compounds. They have
distributors if you want to buy in quantity. Like 5 gallons and more.
JC Whitney sells a nice rustproofing tool kit and the compound. The
armed services use rustproofing extensively because it works.

I grew up outside of Detroit (rust capital of the world) they use so
much salt on the roads in the winter time when the roads dry (infrequent
in the winter!) the salt piles up on the side of the roads.

Back in my youth, our next door neighbor kid bought a new Dodge Duster
(purple with the cyclone on the side- I'm dating myself) less than a
year later, after the first winter, it was rusted through.

Hence the rust capital of the world.

Dave