Re: [MV] Winch Cable ?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 06:24:22 PDT

At 10:23 PM +0100 8/10/05, noel shelley wrote:
>We always lay a blanket or a coat on the cable when doing any serious
>winching in case it pops to help slow the recoil.
>
>Reminds me of a story my dad told of hanging a blanket over a window during
>ww2---- the idea was that a bullet on hitting the blanket would wind it up ,
>absorb the energy and come to rest quickly !
>Plausable --- but would it work in practice ?

It would if the cloth were sufficiently strong to not tear. This worked more or less for arrows fired at Mongul horsemen. They wore silk shirts under their leather tunics, arrows that struck were wrapped in the silk, even though it penetrated, it tended not to tear up as much flesh. By pulling on the shirt carefully, the arrow could be removed with a minimal of damage, where as an arrow by itself tended to cause a lot of damage as it was pulled out.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -