M813 towing capacity??

From: J (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 14:16:25 PDT

  Trying to determine exactly what the legal (as opposed to functional)
towing capacity is for the M813. I see numbers of 15,000 pounds and
30,000 pounds in the -10 manual. I do not see a listing that breaks it
down for onroad and offroad. The 15k and 30k numbers are not found in
the same spot. If they were, I'd surmise that it means off and on road.
  Similar sized trucks tow much bigger loads, so I suspect the 813 has a
larger capacity than 30,000 pounds. Anyone know where to find the legal
onroad towing capacity in print? Memphis Equipment does not know the
answer, by the way. The 813 has a pintle hitch at the rear, not a 5th
wheel. The tractor version of this truck is rated at 55,000 pounds
towing capacity. Same frame and everything, except for the hitch
method. Thanks. Jim