Re: [MV] M813 towing capacity??

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 14:57:31 PDT

At 2:16 PM -0700 8/11/05, J wrote:
> Trying to determine exactly what the legal (as opposed to functional) towing capacity is for the M813. I see numbers of 15,000 pounds and 30,000 pounds in the -10 manual. I do not see a listing that breaks it down for onroad and offroad. The 15k and 30k numbers are not found in the same spot. If they were, I'd surmise that it means off and on road.
> Similar sized trucks tow much bigger loads, so I suspect the 813 has a larger capacity than 30,000 pounds. Anyone know where to find the legal onroad towing capacity in print? Memphis Equipment does not know the answer, by the way. The 813 has a pintle hitch at the rear, not a 5th wheel. The tractor version of this truck is rated at 55,000 pounds towing capacity. Same frame and everything, except for the hitch method.

The tag is going to make it less adept at towing really big loads due to less load on the duals in back.

That said, the -10 manual is shows 5 tons for load and 7.5 for towed load. Now the older 5 tons showed 5 tons off road, 10 tons on road and 15 tons towed (on and off?). I strongly suspect you'd probably want to figure a 15 ton load as about as much as you'd want to tow on the Pintle. Leave the extra wiggle room for safty buffer.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -