Re: [MV] The New Army Combat Uniform after one day of wearing it

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 18:17:04 PDT

At 6:43 PM -0500 8/15/05, Scherrer, Tim wrote:
>Today is my first day wearing the new Army Combat uniform to work, and I really like it. The uniform is extremely comfortable, practical and easy to care for. I especially liked not having to spend time ironing (the uniform
[snip]

>What I don't like is not wearing my branch insignia, which is an Army tradition. It just has rank in the center of the chest. Also, it seems very practical for wearing with body armor. It makes a lot of sense to issue us a uniform for urban and desert environments, which is where we always fight versus a woodland uniform where we never fight, at least not in 10 years. I guess if we go to war there they can give us woodland BDUs again.

Expect to see a Woodland version after enough Brass decide it is needed. Having pockets on the sleeves is nice isn't it?

>With just one day wearing it I like it quite a lot. I've only worn BDUs and jungle fatigues, and they are my favorite tying with jungle fatigues.

The write-ups I've heard have been mostly of disdain for the new features that many European armies have seen for some time (Rank tab on the front). Personally, I think the big change is the use of the mandarin collars for better comfort under body armor (seems like every's wearing it in Iraq now unless they're in their rack). Some other things seem new from what I've seen. (IR flashes for better IFF, pockets for knee/elbow pads).

I missed a chance to ask a troop passing through CNN Center's food court what he thought of it. All of his companions were in the old Woodland BDUs.

Thanks for the write up.

Now they just need to get all the web gear and PASGT gear in the ACU pattern vs the Fulda Gap Woodland they all have....;-)

Just in case someone wonders what this is..
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/acu.htm

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -