Re: [MV] Old gas don't work

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 21:09:21 PDT

MYDEUCEANDWILLYS@aol.com wrote:

> I always hear about bad gas? BUT I have never had this problem? Ive had old
> trucks , old generators / compressors sit for years? Is it because I only use
> Super or the highest octane I can get, I do know super is more refined and a
> cleaner burn, [snip]

Octane rating measures only ONE thing, the resistance to pre-ignition or 'knock'
or 'ping'. Nothing more!!! It is measured in a test engine with a screw adjustable
piston in the top of the cylinder. The piston is screwed in, increasing the
engine's compression ratio, until knock occurs. Anything more than you need is
simply enriching the oil companies. The octane rating can be increased with
additives BTW.

In case you don't believe me, put "octane rating" into Google. Here's the first
hit:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

-John