Re: [MV] Flange bolts for propeller shafts

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 18:25:21 PDT

Hi Ryan,
    Well, yes and no....
Probably the most important factor here is the length of the shank. It is
important that there be no possibility of play in the joint other than
the hole to
bolt shank clearance. Once the threads get into that area and something
loosens up,
it can reduce the diameter of the bolt, introduceing play in the system.
    In some systems it probably isn't that big a deal, but since this is
for the Transmission
to Transfer case propeller shaft of a 5 Ton, I really don't want to
throw dice.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but then I didn't think this part would fail
the way it did,
just because someone put some lock plates in backwards.
ie Better safe than sorry.

Thankyou very much for the advice though!
Bruce