Re: [MV] M274 Mule rear transaxle

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 20:56:44 PDT

>This weekend I was presented with a a bit of a task.I work at a local
military history museum as the chief of maintenance(a recently acquired
position) and am trying to get all of their vehicles back into shape after
years of spotty or non-existent up keep.My immediate concern is I need to
put the rear transaxle back together on a 4 wheel steer Mule. THe person who
tried to fix it took all the gearing apart along with the clutch and shift
forks. the axle was left installed. I do not have a manual, but only need
the -20P or -34P diagram of how all of this goes back together.

>If anyone has an electronic copy of this diagram and could email it to me I
would be very greatful and so would the museum I work for.This MULE can
trace its service to Vietnam and is in very good shape otherwise.

>Thank You for your time and consideration,

I've rebuilt a number of mule tranny's. There is a lot going on in there and
there are some things that can be tricky. The very first thing is to note
that there were two different gear sets (different tooth counts), you cannot
interchange these two gears, they must be run as one pair or the other, you
can assemble it with a cross match but it will fail prematurely. You
really should read the manual however regarding setting the preload and
backlash on the output shaft and side gear, there are two shim packs near
the end of the output shaft (where the splined yoke slips in to drive the
front) and there is another shim pack at the side where the sdie gear gets
sandwitched between the tranny case and the drop housing. Be happy to chat
if you got any questions. BTW, I have tabbed style lock washers for the big
nut on the output shaft if you don't like dealing with the solid type.

later,

je