Re: [MV] High Value Lost Property

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 11:18:49 PDT

At 11:01 AM -0700 8/24/05, Rick v100 wrote:
>Depends what you see as valauable. Is the military
>going to GPS every box or trailer that they own.
>Commercial logistics companies usually GPS the trucks
>and not the trailers due to cost. As the cost comes
>down then they might implement it.

Given the cost of the assets, $200 worth of hardware is pretty trivial.

>Also from a security standpoint I would be concerned
>about all my units having tracking tags using probably
>COTS technology that anyone with a tracker could find
>me.

One security method would be that you'd have 50,000+ tags generating signals in a given area. What's the Command Track you want to hit with the PGM vs what's the empty container or the container full of TP. Sure, if you hit the TP supply for the day, I'm sure a bunch of people would be pissed, but....it doesn't do much for your mission. If a unit has gone tactical it would be trivial to disable such a system.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -