Re: [MV] And you think it's expensive now

From: Employee at MILVEHCO (milveh@dslextreme.com)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 19:51:02 PDT

Man this is going to be a long and difficult night for a lot of folks.

There has only been 3 categoy 5 hurricanes to hit the US since we began
keeping records. Hurricane Andrew was a cat 5 in 92 and did 25 billion
dollars in damage. Katrina is expected to the most powerful storm to hit
the US, more powerful than Andrew that winds gusting to 177 mph. Got
about 7 hours left before this monster hits the coast in full force.

Oil has just jumped another $3.85 a barrel from Fridays close...talking
advantage of a disaster is about as low as you can get.

FEMA says when the winds hit 170+ mph. expect concrete and concrete block
walls to fail. All roofs will fail, including steel roofs unless
specifically designed for a shelter. High rise apartments, hotels, all
will sway and their walls may collapse.

The storm surge could bring in 30+ feet of seawater, most of New Orleans
is 12 feet less than sea level. This could uproot above ground fuel
storage tanks and send them flying.
I also just heard police going door to door in some areas and they are
forcing people to leave, literally dragging them out their homes because
they just don't understand how bad this could get.

If any of our posters are in LA. I wish em losts of luck!