M51 brake misbehavior

From: Dave Sofio (dave.nfesc@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 01:25:45 PDT

What does it mean when, with vehicle (M51) running and a full load of
compressed air showing on the pressure gauge, my foot firmly on brake
(say I'm about ready to cut engine, after parking on a slope...) the
brake pedal decides to "fight back," as in trying to push up against my
foot, while simultaneously losing a great deal of braking force, feeling
almost as if not having the benefit of a booster? It's...a unique
experience.

Possibly-related item: The master cyl was...well, damned near empty
when I checked it after buying truck. I augmented the stock filler
setup (none) with a translucent reservoir I installed under the seat
plus a vinyl hose down to the MC filler port, so now it's easy to check
the fluid level. But filling it? To my great surprise, it took the
better part of two14oz bottles of silicone fluid to bring the level up
(air burping out the filler hose even now, after several miles), yet
brakes had worked fine and there were no obvious fluid leaks apparent
before or since. So there could be gobs of air in the lines for all I
know... but then it's not the air-associated "spongy-pedal" problem I'm
seeing, and in fact, the brakes are rock-solid, except when this
moderately-terrifying new problem crops up, with the
demonically-possessed brake-pedal trying to shove my foot off it!

I also think there have been a couple of occasions when the pedal sank
further than it should, such that the pedal arm scraped the slot in the
sheetmetal floor.

Anybody have experience with this?

Dave S
Honolulu