Re: [MV] how do you get a truck home from Gov't liquidation

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 14:47:55 PDT

I sent a wrecker to Fort Campbell to get my M35A2. I paid less than
$500.00 for the tow. This was during DRMO days before GL took over. I
tried to use
the same wrecker company two years ago to go to Huntsville to pick up
two trailers I had bought and he was way too high. I ended up getting a
patient of mine to go with his truck tractor. BTW he had trouble with
clearances but was able to pull it as long as he didn't turn too tight.

I have moved M135's with a flatbed and a one ton van. The first two
were missing major parts and weren't too bad to move. The last one was
a complete truck and had a home-made shelter in the back. It was a real
bitch to load. A couple of the brakes were dragging and the ramps were
pretty steep. We broke a chain pulling it with a backhoe. I just
about lost it on one particularly steep hill on the way home. All three
moves were on secondary highways in the country were you could take your
time. I don't think I want to do that again. I would think you would
be pushing CDL requirements to have a rig capable of doing this safely
on major highways esp in city traffic.

The bottom line when buying from GL is that if you can't haul it
yourself or get a friend to do it for you, you better want it pretty
bad because you are going to have too much in it by the time you get it
home.

On a positive note, I have noticed some good deals on trucks through GL.
 None were close to me though. Seems to me that every sale has a few
that go way too high, alot that go fairly high and a few that seem to
be a good deal. Of course, some of the good deals are way out in the
middle of nowhere at an unmanned base.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi