Re: [MV] CUCV fuel level gauge

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 07:02:15 PDT

The good thing about having a GM product is that the gas tank gauge used
of their older trucks was a standard resistance wise. If you are
questioning the sender, you can pull it and test it or do the fill and
empty thing to the tank to test it. I think the range is 0-90 ohms, 0
being empty, 90 being full.

Get a Ohm meter or multimeter and test the sender at full and empty
positions. If that reads correctly, then you either have a wiring
problem between the tank and the gauge or their is a bad connection
between the two. I believe that on that truck, in the back of the
gauge cluster that you can pull out from the front of the dash. That
truck used a flexible wiring mat - sort of like a flexible printed
circuit board. I have had problems with that setup where the harness
plugs into the flexible mat. If that gets corroded at all, you could
get some resistance build up which would throw off your gauge. That is
the first thing I would check probably since you already replaced the
sender.

Also, here is a how to website to fix that problem.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref18.html

Dave