RE: [MV] Battle of New Orleans - 2005

From: Nigel Hay MILWEB (nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 00:17:32 PDT

I have seen the news reports from UK, US and French TV. Its obviously a
fiasco. Unbelievable.

 What I cannot understand is why the vast resources of the US Military have
not been rushed to the area ? What is the point of having a national guard
and the biggest army in the world if its not used?

As one reporter pointed out "most of the helicopters are those used by the
media"

There was a brief mention of "big wheeled army trucks" but no sight of any
on the TV. The US military had a vast wealth of suitable vehicles and troops
who surely are trained for all this? Where are all the bridging units,
mobile hospitals etc?
The American red cross can get there - why not the military? or are they
waiting for an international rescue effort?

It seems curious that vast amounts of troops and over 60 helicopters were
sent 6,000 miles away to Normandy last June to protect Bush for a day trip
to Omaha beach , so why cant a proportionate effort be made on home soil?

Our groups correspondent in his M35 may find himself a lone rescuer at this
rate.....

Whilst people have pointed out that many locals didn't obey the requests to
leave, consider this - they may simply not have had the means to leave.
They may not have cars as many are very poor underprivileged citizens.

The words "rapid" and "disaster management" don't apply. In the USA
certainly.

NH