Another note from the N.O evacuee

From: Rob (69barracuda@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 01:05:49 PDT

Just got home, forwarding this as requested...

Wow, which comments to respond to first???
  As for relief efforts; I'm a licensed Amateur radio operator and have
been to meetings about the possiblity of what is now real. THIS IS NO
SURPRISE TO ANYONE THAT THINKS! New Orleans should never have been
built where it is so let's put the blame where it really belongs; (you
choose) The French put an outpost /fort / village / town / city etc at
a location where Native Americans traded. So let's blame them. The N
A's, I'm sure, were smart enough to beat it during hurricane season so
I'm giving them a pass. Now, can anyone really tell me there aren't
hundreds, if not thousands of towns and neighborhoods built in stupid
places? This is America and our freedom allows us to invest hard earned
bucks in moronic fasion. New Orleans is just one of the largest
examples. The entire Gulfg Coast and Florida should have prevented
building within a mile of the coast, California should take
everyhillside dwelling down... Should I go on? Due to the business I'm
in, disaster and loss cross my mind daily. I also think often about the
fact that I should move elsewhere when I look at the scrawny levees
along the canals (three blocks from my house.) I paid mucho bucks to
live on some of the highest ground in the city (former Native American
trail.) It's still a calculated risk. My wife and I have the means to
evacuate, we made an informed decision about risk. We made an informed
decision about having kids, ie, we can afford them, we can educate them
etc. A lot of the people that are/were stuck downtown have kids without
any thought of what if... The people that didn't leave made decisions, a
long time ago, to coast along on the public dole. The don't think past
the next govment checks. They're no different than po folks, of any
color, all over the country. These just live in a bowl, and I'm telling
you, they don't know it. I'v witnessed a Grandmother that lived her
whole life next to the river near the airport, when viewing the same
river from the French Quarter, wanted to know if it was "the ocean?" I'm
telling you they have no clue. Whose fault? If they just read the paper
or watched any form of "intelectual" tv they'd be better served than
counting on their leaders. Point is, The entire culture begun in the
'60's has helped insure stupidity. Oh, back to relief? Let's face it no
large operation mobilizes instantly and there is no way for them to be
in place beforehand. They couldn't have been in place anywhere above the
coast. Texas would have been the only choice. And does anyone really
expect that level of preparedness before every storm that enters the
Gulf? The various services are doing what they can in timely fasion. As
for armed response, please bring it on (now that most innocents are out
of the way.) Corps of Engineers. "They had this problem dumped on
them?" Way back in history, that may be true. And yes, they're hampered
by tree huggers etc. They're also hampered by preservationists etc like
the "Bucktown fleet." That's the little smashed fishing boats all shoved
up against the new multi million dollar, 2 lane bridge crossing the
blown out canal. You wouldn't believe the crap involved in replacing
that bridge! The "fleet" couldn't be displaced out to the brand new
marina just outside the canal, for "historic" reasons. Otherwise, they
could have put a pump house or some kind of control at the end of the
canal. WesK. I agree with your post but NOTHING happens in the entire
area without Cof E involvement and approval. Their past decisions have
been both miraculous and detrimental in our area and others. This may be
the greatest nation on earth, but we all still make mistakes and often
learn the hard way.To be fair, there is also the N.O. Levee Board which
is an incredible tallent for letting politics trump sense. Feds, State,
Local? New Orleans has what is called the "Home Rule Charter" which
essentially places the city above most state authority. It causes lot's
of problems which I won't go on about. Rebuild? While I have my
reservations, You won't believe how fast the N.O area is back on it's
feet. Within months, the downtown will probably be hosting conventions
and, I'll bet, Mardi Gras will happen in the new year. Please pardon my
long winded diatribe, I'm not trying to excuse or defend, just supply
some local flavor? And man could I use a big ol seafood platter from
Deanie's right now... I could watch the dozers push dirt into the water
and then drive the M-35 over to my parent's flooded house.....
Still anonymous.....