Re: [MV] M1009 rear brake lines

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 11:35:01 PDT

Good point Bruce,

I just wanted to add that making double flares on brake lines is not a
big deal. I bought a NOS military surplus (french I think) double
flaring tool for about $25 on Ebay. Works great. In my town and I
think many others, there are some stores that specialize in brake parts.
  Look under brake parts in the yellow pages. These guys sell brake
part at about 1/2 of what Napa sells them for and they are brand name
parts.

When I replaced the brakes on my 2 1/2 ton commercial truck, the brake
guy told me to make sure that I used double flare fittings on the
brakes. I bought a few rolls of 3/16 and 1/4" brake line from him for
the truck (22' flat bed) and made all of my own lines with fittings that
he sold. 1/4" brake line is about $20 for 25 feet so it is a lot
cheaper than buying premade lines - plus when you need one more inch,
you don't have to run back to the store for an odd peice of line.

The counter guy at the brake store warned me that he has seen some
people use brass compression fittings for brake lines - but that they
are known to fail and leak. While replacing the brake lines on my 2 1/2
ton truck, sure enough on the rear calipher was a "repair" with a 1/4
pipe coupling, a couple of brass bushings and sure enough two 1/4" brass
compression fittings!

Get the correct tool and do it right. What could be more important than
brakes!?

Dave