Re: [MV] Cutting a Transmission Input Shaft

From: SGM PANTANO (TRUKS1@msn.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 07:40:35 PDT

I know..but -- on a driveshaft...when they are cut and shortened - they are
"welded".. On the input shaft..you can cut it on a mitre saw for steel..or a
lathe -- which is a killer for "set-up"...and a waste of time.. You are not
talking about something that needs to be perfect.. (On the shaft --inside
the transmission output tail ??!! NO WAY... Maybe if it were on the
driveshaft... But not on the input shaft.) -- or a "cut off saw used by
fire departments.. Yes it will get a bit hot - but--only on the tip - which
will hurt nothing. Don't scare the guy..Let him cut it.. I have done it many
time on FORD shafts when swapping out Borg Warner Transmissions..and on a
few 800 series wrecker shafts....AND , last but not least......INPUT shafts
are NOT hardened.. Gene