Re: [MV] Cutting a Transmission Input Shaft

From: od_willys (od_willys@netzero.net)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 19:42:33 PDT

I had cut the output shaft of the transmission in my jeep to install a
transfer case adaptor from Advance Adaptors. The instruction call out using
a handheld grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. Place the tranny in gear and
have someone slowly rotate the shaft while you apply very light pressure.
By using light pressure and rotating the shaft you will dramatically reduce
heat build up and not effect the strength of the shaft. I made this mod
almost 10 years ago with no problems.

Also most shafts are case hardened and are sometimes difficult to machine on
a lathe.

S. Mattison