D-Day Museum New Orleans

From: Jess Minton (pd.minton@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 19:03:21 PDT

Everyone,

It is best to be very suspicious of any and all internet rumors going
around about the situation in New Orleans and along the Gulf
Coast. First reports are always wrong and generally worse than
reality. See below.

Jeff Hunt
Curator
Admiral Nimitz Museum

"Hello all,

My wife, Debra is a Sergeant with the New Orleans Police Department
and has been in the thick of things since Katrina struck. She had
to pursuade me to leave the city before the disaster. I did not
want to go, I guess having recently retired from NOPD was pushing me
to stay. I am now glad that I did leave, but saddened that she is
still there, working for nothing at this point. But to the point.
She has been past the D-Day Museum several times in the last few
days. She tells me that even the large windows of the Louisiana
Pavilion are intact. She has been told by other officers that the
Museum proper was unmolested. Most of the looting was in the
Central Business District and in some the mostly uneffected
residential areas. She did say that the storage area for the Musem
Shop located across the street in the area that will be part of the
expansion was damaged in the storm and had been entered. Deb will
soon be rotated out of the area for a 5 day R&R, then back in. None
of the NOPD have been innoculated for any waterborne diseases and
some are becoming ill. Most of this from working 20 hour days with
little food and water. She had been patrolling with National Guard
members until today. This morning she had 10 NYPD officers assigned
to her and continues to perform her duties as the true professional
that she is. I do worry about her physical and mental state as she
sounds more and more hollow each time I speak to her. Please keep
her and all of the men and women still in New Orleans, and the other
effected areas as well as our troops overseas."

Thanks,

Elmon Randolph
Living History Director
National D-Day Museum