Re: [MV] Upgrade to surge brakes in 1967 3/4 ton trailer (M116A1)

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 19:44:13 PDT

I'm a pretty serious trailer tinkerer, having rebuilt a number of
trailers, frames, brakes, decks, etc over the years.

Anyway, if the drums on that trailer are a standard diameter like 12".
You may be able to buy some complete brake assemblies from a trailer
supply store like Redneck Trailer Supply (one of the bigger ones in the
country) and fit them to your axle. If the brake backing plate doesn't
fit the bolt pattern on the axle, you can even buy new brake mounting
flanges, cut and grind the old ones off and weld on new ones. If you do
that you will have the benefit of all new brakes parts that are common
off the shelf equipment.

Personally I have never had great luck with surge brakes, you can't
activate them without using the truck brakes first which is not always a
good thing.

A couple of other possible options - replace the existing hubs and drums
  with modern hubs (if they fit the spindles), replace the brake
assemblies and go with an electric brake setup.

I just bought some 12" brake drums, with bearings and seals - they were
for demountable 14.5" wheels and tires so they were a little more
expensive at $45 each. 12" Electric brake assemblies (backing plate,
shoes, assembled, etc) were $49 each.

The ultimate setup is to go with an electric to hydraulic brake actuator
(mounted on the trailer) and use conventional hydraulic brake parts on
the axle. The actuator is pricy though at about $400.

Dave