Sarge's comments

From: Sarge (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 15:34:56 PDT

Hello List, Sarge speaking.
I am sorry not to have been able to keep up with what is going on. I have
been mostly horizontal for a couple of days, but I should be up and at 'em
in a week or so.
I first want to say that I am completely overwhelmed by the number of
positive reactions to my story about last week helping on the Gulf Coast. As
for the sceptics, ah well, too bad you think that way.
I secondly want to strongly say that I am NOT a hero or anything even close
to one. My hero's are mostly in Iraq at the moment. The others can be seen
at any Memorial Day service or in the Veterans Day parades.
I am happy that the Lone Star MVPA chapter hosted my story on their
web-site. I was shocked and appalled when I saw the link asking for
donations to offset my cost. An apology has been posted at the bottom of the
story. I stated that the money was well spent. I did not ask for donations
to help offset my trip. I do not want anyone to misconstrue the purpose of
why I posted the story. I only wanted people to understand the extent of the
carnage. If you wish to contribute money, please do so, but please send it
to the Red Cross or any other valid relief organization. Any money that was
sent to our MVPA will be returned or donated to the Red Cross. I appreciate
the generosity of everyone concerned, but I cannot accept a penny for
myself.
I had the motive, means and opportunity to do something. Given the same
circumstances, almost every one of you would have done the same thing.
One clarification point, my last name is Stewart-Smith, not Dunn. My first
name is Sarge. Just kidding, it's John.
You guys who did the commendation site for me, I appreciate very much the
thought and work behind it, however, I cannot accept your praise.
I am just a grumpy old Sergeant.
-Sarge out