2.5-ton commo shelter?

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 18:05:35 PDT

Does anybody have a good, weather-tight commo shelter that's sized
appropriately for 2.5-ton cargo trucks that they want to get rid of? I'd
be particularly interested in something with a lot of these features:

* Door(s) with roller cam style latches like my S-250 shelter, instead
of sliding bolt style fasteners like my 2.5-ton shop vans.

* Located close to Southern California.

* Something for which shelter mobilizers are reasonably available, to
make it easy to move around when it's not mounted on a truck.
Alternately, ISO shipping container corner castings would be nice, even
if the shelter doesn't have a standard length.

* Seller would consider trades. I have some extra stuff in my collection
right now, such as a good 10kW gasoline genset, a couple of other ones
that aren't good yet, various 1.5-ton trailers, a project deuce, etc.

* Nice and rain-tight.

* Intact lighting and/or other electrical stuff.

* Working air conditioning that would run on single-phase 60 Hz AC power
would be especially nice.

* Presence of original radio equipment, racks, facilities for connecting
to external wiring and so forth could be either a plus or a minus. Thus,
I'm specifying a general size and generic features that I like, rather
than asking about any specific model/configuration of shelter.

* I tend to like green better than tan. :-)

I like my S-250 shelter that sometimes lives on my HMMWV, but it's
already stuffed with an AN/GRC-122B RTTY set, and it's a bit small for
more generic use with my piles of other green and black-wrinkle radios.
I particularly like the roller cam latches on the doors, compared to the
plain sliding bolts on my shop vans. The double-walled aluminum
structure and skids for sitting on the ground are other nice features
compared to 2.5-ton shop van boxes.

The sale of my second and last 2.5-ton shop van is pending; I decided to
get rid of it because I realized I'd never actually use it as a
camper/radio truck as I intended, because I found that don't actually
like driving larger trucks that much. Still, a 2.5-ton radio truck might
have a place in my motor pool, particularly if I could easily remove the
radio box to let the truck double as a regular cargo truck. I'm thinking
that a nice, rain-tight commo shelter that would normally live on the
ground and serve as my primary radio shack but could also be lifted onto
my 2.5-ton dropside if desired, would be nice. I'd stuff various
mostly-mil-surplus radio sets into it, including my AN/GRC-19 (which
might turn into an AN/GRC-46 RTTY set someday), my ART-13B/BC-348P, etc.

I'm not hot and bothered to buy something right now, but I thought I'd
put out feelers and keep my eyes open for the right shelter to come
along. If you happen to have something that might be what I'm looking
for, let's talk, especially if you're near southern California and might
consider a trade.

Thanks in advance for any leads and/or any other interesting
conversations on this topic. Answer on or off list as you see fit, but
I'm more likely to see off-list responses because I have my email server
set up to automatically file list traffic into various folders, and
sometimes I go a week or three without checking some of the folders for
new stuff. My main inbox gets my attention much more frequently.

Hmm, I'm hungry. Time for a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/