Re: [MV] 160AX Manifold Question

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 22:53:39 PDT

Boy, now I am getting myself into trouble. The worst part is I meant to
say "yanking on one of my crabs," which I think sounds even worse!

What I was referring to was that I was pulling off one of the 4 bogie
clusters on my M3A1. The four clusters of 4 bogies are held down, if
you will, by the crab assembly (an interesting shaped structural piece
between the volute springs and the roller arms). To put an end to the
hand waving, here is a picture of it all...

http://dmaguire.home.mchsi.com/bogies.jpg

My shorthand description came from the fact that the thing that gave me
the most fits was compressing the volute springs. I had thought that
the threads in the crab through the volute were 7/8" when they were, in
reality, 1". Cut the 7/8" allthread, tacked a nut on, and started
threading. It kept pulling loose. With a fiberoptic scope I could see
that my diameter was wrong and I had to cut/tack new compression rods
from 1" allthread. Thankfully, I did not damage the crab while trying
to engage the 7/8" threaded rod.

I did get the roller ass'y off. Quite simple once I got the springs
compressed and that corner of the HT off the ground.

Whew!

Cheers,
Dan
Auburn, IN