Re: [MV] Free estimates

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 07:38:51 PDT

Here's the other end of the spectrum. You go into the (argh) dealership for
a headlight replacement. The book may make it .2 hrs. What happens if you get
a tech that's slow and methodical. He removes the bezel screws, cleans the
threads and loctities the threads. He carefully removes the bulb and puts it
aside for your inspection. Then he checks and cleans the cotacts to make sure
you have no problems in the future. He also puts dielectric grease on them
to inhbit corrosion. He installs the bulb and bezel and screws in the
previously loctited screws and sets it all up. Dry run and the light works. Cruise
around the shop to make certain that it withstands bumps and it works OK. This
guy is just meticulous but cost you $60 if hourly rate is $40 by taking 90
minutes to do the job. Now what happens when you get the tech thats kinda new
and he's pulling your rear drums of your full floater axle. He's not had the
time or money to buy the right socket so he cruises up to the tool crib on the
second floor to check one out. You pay for his inexperience. Or the worst
case scenario, they guy that pokes around and milks you dry. In my opinion,
flat rate is about as fair as it can be done, just have a copy of the flate rate
book.
Kenny

In a message dated 9/22/2005 9:47:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,