Re: [MV] free estimates

From: Bruce Kalin (convoy@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 14:33:31 PDT

Chuck,

Working on a flat rate system does not, by any stretch of the
imagination qualify someone as a better mechanic. In fact, just the
opposite is usually found in large commercial projects, where the bids
are by time and material, as apposed to a flat rate, which is often
given by a smaller contractor. Does this mean that "world class"
construction companies are less apt to fill the contract appropriately,
or less effectively than the smaller, less equipped construction company?

I agree that free estimates should not be given. Nothing is free anyway,
as the cost of the estimate has to either be built into the bid to
recoup the time or, it is added into someone else's project.

Would I like a "reasonable" estimate before work is to begin -
absolutely! Would I expect the mechanic to sacrifice his time because my
vehicle had a part that was so rusted that it took an extra hour to
drill the piece out? No way. I'd rather pay the extra hour in labor,
than to have someone rig the job, only to find out a year later that
everything that I paid for was falling apart.

Bruce Kalin

--
Bruce Kalin
East Coast Convoy Coordinator