Re: [MV] free estimates

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 19:11:36 PDT

I work and bill my clients by the hour for most of the work I do now. I
have also worked flat rate and it sucks. I think it leads to shoddy work.

Working to an estimate is a fair situation.

I think the free/paid estimate situation really depends on what industry
you are in. In my line of work (Industrial Automation) quotes are
expected to be given for free. That's just the way it is done. I've
spent days and traveled hundreds of miles just to do a single quote for
a large job. That's just the way it works in that industry. I think
the construction and remodeling business is very similar. The time you
spend bidding jobs becomes part of your operating overhead costs. In
the end those costs get charged back to your customers. There really is
no free lunch. Time is money.

Dave