Re: [MV] Total B-52 fleet losses

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Sep 24 2005 - 17:27:07 PDT

On Sep 24, 2005, at 1:56 PM, archie road wrote:

> I was present for the destruction of B-52G- 57-6507

>> - 57-6507 destroyed 1/26/83 by fire during ground maintenance at
>> Grand Forks AFB

Er... I hope you weren't the one smoking the cig too close to the fuel
truck!

As it happens this crash is rather famous around these parts:

>> 53-0406 crashed 1/24/63 near Greenville, ME due to turbulence-induced
>> structural failure at low level

It smashed up on the side of a mountain. Not much left of it remains
there, but recently they put up a memorial for the crew that didn't
survive the crash. IIRC at least one of the crew that did survive was
present for the memorial dedication. The memorial and an annual trip
of remembrance is made every year by the local snowmobile club.
Located only a few miles from where the amphib DC-3, mentioned earlier,
is parked.

Steve