Re: [MV] Engine Block Heater for CUCV, temp switches

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Sep 24 2005 - 21:08:27 PDT

Quoting stuinnh@mvnut.us:

> I still don't understand how the system knows when to turn off the
> glow
> plugs. Are the glow plugs heating air or water? If air, what is
> telling
> system air is at right temp? What gauge in the dash? There is no
> dash
> gauge in a CUCV other than the wait light.
>
> "Stu"
> Southern NH, USA
> "Live Free Or Die"

As I understand it, the controller card is a variable time card based on
the reading from the temp sensor and voltage sensor. Because it does
not actually measure the temp of the glow plugs is why so many get
burned out. The temp compensated glow plugs increase their resistance
as they heat up making the process self limiting. I am guessing that
the change in the voltage is why AC60G plugs stay on longer than 13G.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi