After Action Report for Hurricane Rita in East Texas

From: Floyd Petri (fpetri@eastex.net)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 17:24:07 PDT

Well we survived hurricane Rita here in East Texas. Lost all big pecan trees
and almost all the other trees at my house. We had 100 MPH winds and the eye
stalled on top of us. Trees down everywhere including across my chain link
fence. Holes in the roof, but at least I have a roof and some don't. We have
been without electricity since the day before the storm. The wind blew and
that's all it took again to loose electricity. They say it may be a month
before we have power again. I have a 5000 watt generator which runs my
freezer, refrigerator and a couple fans. It will not run my air conditioner
at all. Fuel is scarace. It is over a 100 degrees in the house and outside.
Being a serious heart patient does not help because I am not supposed to get
hot. There is no gas, no groceries and nothing open since the day before the
storm. Since we are not the Federal Governments favorites there is no
government help here. No food or anything. You can't drive for anything
either because no gas and everything for 60 miles is closed because of no
electricity.

1. No Feds have come and offered me $26,200 to fix my house or get a new one
yet. I wonder why?
2. No Feds have come and offered me a $2,000 check, buyers card or debit
card . I wonder why?
3. No Feds have come and offered me three hot meals a day, or two or one
yet. I wonder why?
4. No Feds have come and offered me any MREs at all yet. I wonder why?
5. No Feds have come and offered me anything at all. I wonder why?
6. No Feds have even notified me of a phone number to call for help. I
wonder why?
7. Some people are dying from no oxygen and other medical emergiencies and
calling 911 does not even get any help. Not even an ambulance. I wonder why?

15 miles away at the County Seat they were feeding, clothing, and taking
care of black refugees from New Orleans in town for weeks. I wonder if the
Feds are still taking care of them now???

I heard after it was too late that FEMA brought one tanker of gas to the
County Seat and only charged people $2 a gallon for the gas with a 5 gallon
limit. I know one tanker will not serve everyone, but why wait until it is
all gone to tell me? I had rather just not have heard than to hear after it
is gone.

Today we heard that a distaster response team was in town at a certain
location. It was a lie.

Today we heard that the one and only service station would be open at 5 PM
to sell gas. It was a lie too.

Today we heard that there was a truck going to be downtown to pass out ice.
to everyone. It was a lie too. However, a local citizen did go somewhere
and pick up some ice in her private car and gave it out as far as it would
go. We did not hear about that. We accidently walked up on her and got one
bag. No charge.

I will try to check my email once a day by generator.

Floyd
Retired Sergeant U.S. Army