Re: [MV] CNG as alternative fuel??

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 21:12:14 PDT

>Propane thread is interesting, but has anyone looked into converting to CNG
>(compressed natural gas), the fuel most of us urban and suburban dwellers
>heat our homes and cook with??? I understand that it is cheaper than
>propane, about US$0.60 on it..... The key is a US$1500.00 pump to allow
>fill ups of a CNG tank in our vehicles from our house CNG system, plus a
>US$3000.00 conversion to our vehicles..... This conversion is done cheaper
>in Canada, and much cheaper in Brazil. Thoughts or information, anyone???

I have a number of CNG tanks here. There seem to be two kinds 5000psi and
10,000 psi. The 10kpsi ones have 3/4" thick heads and 1/2" thick body and
are wrapped with fiberglass. They have an expiration date and are NOT
recertifiable. The 5kpsi ones are traditional looking cylinders that can be
retested. Both are very heavy and do not get you that far.

later,

je