Re: [MV] Generator - bad gas

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 21:04:05 PDT

Bad gas can be for any of a number of reasons:

If it's been stored for a long time, especially in hot areas, in cans that are not
really sealed tight, some or all of the more volatile components will evaporate
and b lost to the gas. (Sealing gas cans has it's own hazards, since the pressure
can build to unacceptable levels and cause can failure) These volatile components
are what make an engine easier to start (and is one main difference between Winter
and Summer gas)

Second, if the cans are subjected to temperature cycling, they 'breathe' and humid
air can get inside and condense. This problem can be solved with the addition of
pure alcohol (w/o water in it). The alcohol links the water to the gas and it then
burns along with the gas. In cold climates, the alcohol also prevents the water
from freezing in the fuel lines.

Finally, gas can get loose some of its components and become a varnish. This
happens especially n engines with float carbs and a gravity feed system. As the
gas evaporates over time in the carb, residual stuff stays behind and clogs jets,
etc.. (The additive TCP is Tri Cresol Phosphate and has the consistency of heavy
syrup. Other octane raising additives are similar) Filtering the gas through
layers of fine (non synthetic) cloth or chamois leather will get rid of some of
these problems.

Again, I'd try starting on new gas and switching to a blend or the old gas.

Good luck,

-John