Re: Diesel & cooking oil

From: Dick (rertman@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 08:16:46 PDT

Kent:

"Just cooking oil" is simply the oil used for cooking...usually in a deep
fryer...from restaurants.
It's simply filtered thru a filter that allows nothing larger than 2 microns
to pass thru, then added
to the fuel tank such that the ratio is 80% petrodiesel and 20% cooking oil.
This oil is usually
referred to as waste vegetable oil (WVO).

Biodiesel starts with WVO, then is processed using lye and methanol (an
alcohol) and is then
either added to the vehicle fuel tank along with the petrodiesel, or used
100% instead of petrodiesel.

A note of caution. Running 100% biodiesel, or even a high percentage of
biodiesel almost always
requires modification of the vehicle's fuel delivery system because the
biodiesel isn't compatible
with rubber (synthetic or natural) hoses and seals designed for use with
petrodiesel.

For what it's worth, I mix 20% filtered WVO and 80% petrodiesel in my fuel
tank.

Regards,

Dick