Re: Diesel & cooking oil

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 15:33:55 PDT

Gents

I did a little simple test just to see what a mixture of 60% diesel & 40%
used cooking oil would do when it was just sitting in a tank. I put 1 pint
of the mixture into a glass jar. I warmed it up to about 90' then set it
out side with a thermometer. The mixture remained clear down to 65'F. At
65' the mixture started to get cloudy but you could still see through it.
At 55'F it looked more like an unfiltered beer and you couldn't see through
it but it was still liquid. At this point I went to bed. When I got up
this morning it was 50'F outside. The fuel mixture had become clear again
but the particles that began to solidify had settled to the bottom. I would
say about 10~15% of the oil solidified and settled to the bottom.
Temperatures today reached about 76'F but it has remained the same. I then
shook the bottle up a little to simulate the fuel sloshing around when
driving. The sediments on the bottom made it look like unfiltered beer
again and I had particles as big as pin heads floating around. I assume
that the fuel filter will break these down and shouldn't cause any problems
to the fuel injection. The only problem I can see at this point is the
particle solidifying in the injectors itself after the engine is turned off
if the temperature is cold at night. But I am no expert so if anyone has
more experience and knowledge on this. Please do share.

Darrell