CUCV Filler Hose - Here Goes...

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 15:06:44 PDT

I've used up enough fuel now and have decided to proceed. I am
trying the clean & reclamp method first.

With about 1/4 tank left to go, I applied a degreaser to the fuel
filler hose area and then took the M1008 to the local car wash where
I pressure washed off all of the debris and residue. I drove it home
and then got to work on the hoses. I decided to remove the ends of
both the filler hose and the vent hose where they enter the tank.
The vent hoses OEM clam was quite stubborn but finally let go. I
bent that one off to the side and then went at the filler hoses
clamp. It came off pretty easily as it appears it was broken! I
cleaned the heck out of everything and took extra care to ensure that
no crud found its way into the tank. I inspected the ends of both of
the hoses and other than being distorted from the original clamps
they more or less appeared to be in good order. The flanges on the
tank itself looked very clean and free of any corrosion. I then
reinstalled the hoses with stainless steel hose clamps.

My only concern at this point is what if it was never the hoses and
the tank was leaking out of some hole in the top when very full and
then running down the rearward facing side and implicating the hoses
when in fact it was never the hoses fault(s).

We shall see tomorrow when I fill up. I'm going to top off extra
high to give it a good stress test.

Wish me luck,

thanks,

plaz