USS Zuni / Tamaroa

From: Willie McClain (wiandci@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 08:41:09 PDT

Hi all,
First off I want to say thanks again to everybody that e-mailed me about
parade driving. I used first gear low range. The parade was slow enough that
I never had to shift. Had a good time. After the parade we walked around and
seen tent set up for the Tamaroa Foundation. this ship has allot of history.
It earned four battle stars and saved two cruisers & two transports. As a
coast guard boat it was first at the scene of the Andrea Doria sinking. Its
most publicized rescue was in 1991. It assisted in the rescue of three
crewmembers of the sailboat Satori, 75 miles off Nantucket island, (the
perfect storm). The boat is in Maryland now and they are trying to raise the
funds to move it to West point VA. They are putting it back to the way it
was when it was the Zuni. If you want to read more about it here is the
website. www.tamaroa.org. They told me they are looking for volunteers to
come help work on it. Sounds like fun to me.
Thanks, Willie
1970 M35A2 W/W