How was the Augusta show?

From: Randall Scheffler (roughdoc@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 17:07:22 PDT

To all who emailed me with help and info before our show at Fort Gordon,
thanks a lot. To those that showed and took part in the event, thanks even
more. I personally had a blast, and learned a lot, both about my vehicles
and also about how to make a show better.

Bottom line up front, the show wasn't as good as I hoped it would be or
wanted it to be. Lots of reasons for that, none of them good.

Those that were here commented that it was one of the better trail rides
that they had been on in a long time. The promise here is that the trail
ride will be as good or better next year. I know how to drive tactically,
and it had my heart beating at a good pace at times!

The best part of what did occur is that the powers that be (that kind of
ignored our planning) were real excited by what they did see. All the
leaders promised real support and in fact we will start planning in detail
in November!

Plusses to a show here:

1. The show is in conjunction with our Octoberfest. For those that have to
convince the wife and kids, this means more than just German beer, food,
music and dance. There is a real carnival. There is a crafts tent.
Saturday is a half a football field outdoor flea market.

2. Weather is nice and area is scenic.

3. Plans for next year include having the rally start at our campground
with is on a lake and in a very scenic area. I'd like to plan a big cookout
at the lake after the trail ride. Like I said earlier, the trail ride was a
workout for the non power steering crowd. 3-4 hours of ruts, hills, holes,
etc. Going to try and find a fording site for next year.

4. I'm going to try and get the outdoor flea market folks to support a swap
meet in the same (or close by) area for all three days.

Ran into a lot of folks who live in the area who have vehicles that they are
in the process of restoring. I'm going to try and see if there is interest
in a CSRA (local area) MVPA chapter.

Real lesson learned is that folks come early! I did not anticipate folks
coming in on Thursday and didn't have a very robust crew to meet them and
get them situated.

Overall, I think it was a great first effort and thanks to those that helped
in any way to include coming out. I'll keep the list informed as we plan
out next years.

Doc