Re: Sinking of battleship Maine

From: bolton8@juno.com
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 19:29:35 PDT

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 milveh@dslextreme.com> writes:

> Just think, if we had not followed up by declaring war there's a good
chance
> Spain would still own Cuba, then we would have never had a Cuban
missile
> crisis and Fidel might be running a pedicab in Havana or working Ho's
on the
> Esplanade!

        Neither would we have had a US presence in Guantanamo Bay, nor Camp
X-ray.
So where would we now sequester Al Qaida detainee's?

        Which also means that Admiral Dewey would not have defeated the Spanish
Fleet at Manila Bay in 1898, leaving the Philippine Islands under control
of Spain. Spain, under Generalissimo Franco, was neutral during World
War II. Which opens the question: Would the Japanese Imperial Army have
invaded territory not only belonging to a neutral country, but to a
personal friend of Hitler? And what would General Mac Arthur have
returned too?

        This is something better debated on the Harry Turtledove web site.