Re: Sinking of battleship Maine

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 09:46:47 PDT

That's the interesting thing about Spain in WWII. It was neither
neutral nor openly Axis. For example, it sent an entire division to
fight in Russia, but yet it refused to take over Gibraltar from the
British despite Hitler's insistence. In fact, the Germans had drafted
plans to invade Spain due to it not being as cooperative as desired
(like providing naval and air bases for German offensive operations).
However, the plans for invasion were impractical and therefore the
Germans just had to live with what they got. Spain could have done a
lot of damage to the Allied war effort if it had wanted to. Of course,
it would have paid a terrible price for it, which is exactly why Franco
kept Spain officially neutral.

Steve