M1009 problems ???

From: Don Low (odonlow@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 20:57:24 PDT

OK, so months into this , And we are close.

a little catch up, , I had the truck fixed, heads done,

Then I put bosch glow plugs , broke em off,

M son removed the heads drilled em out and got it all back together,
And striped a alter post, (ep the harder to find 24 volt one)
Had the old one rebuilt, b a fine shop, that does just alternators and
starters.
Said its a Cadillac alternator with a hole drilled in just the right place
to isolate the regulator negative

I ark welded the 24volt post to the clamp, shen atempting to start it !
Blew 2 batteries, trying to keep em charged,

New patteries in, and she pulled 5 amps constantly,

replaced the 12 volt alternator with another one I got here and had rebuilt,

traced and tracked , still pulls 5 amps, seems to chard a capacitor
somewhere,
removed 24 volt and 12 moved and traced,

SO NOW , TRY IT ?,
the GEN 1 light is faint , no glow plug light , no solenoid click
so we
I have the 12 volt alternator (driver side) 1-2 cable removed (that's the
one that goes to gen 1 light)

and , hey no 5 amp draw, well, if you have the negative disconnected and
the amp meter
between ground and the negative post, it show 5 amps and slowly counts down
as SOMETHING charges,
if you touch the ground to the negative it goes to zero amd and stays there
even when removed again.
(SO SOME CAPACITOR IS CHARGING)

ANd yep if you give the solenoid 12 volts it clicks on, (still no glow plug
light)
and if you turn the key on the solenoid releases)

Theory is, we must have a draw somewhere pulling the 12 volts down so the
relay can not engage,

I am studing diagrams again , but in the mean time its cold out,
SOOOOOOOOOO, ANY IDEAS WHAT IS WRONG ???

Odonlow@hotmail.com
donlow.50g.com