Re: starter problem update

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 07:52:55 PDT

Hello Todd:

RE: Gear Reduction (28MT) starter:

Pulled my data on both the the 12 and 24V versions of the 28MT gear
reduction starter.
The 12V unit can develope 4 HP drawing 750Amps.
The 24V unit produces 5.3 HP drawing 450 Amps.

This means that everything equal, the 24V unit whips the motor around
faster than the 12V one. I've used both, I know this is so.
Can be very useful in cold weather.

More importantly, that replacement relay (the one under the dash) will not
last very long. With the original 27MT starter that the CUCVs came with, this
relay sees an initial surge current of about 30Amps.
With the new starter this jumps to 110 Amps!
I'm talking initial surge current. This can cause the contacts to weld shut.

This is also pretty hard on the large connector behind the fuse block and
the wiring harness generally.

What did I do???
I placed an older FORD style solenoid just above the fuel filter.
The existing bolts there and the solenoid foot print were ideal.
Pulled the original starter solenoid lead out of the harness and had
it actuate this new solenoid coil. This coil is returned to ground.
Connect one of the large studs to your starter's solenoid,
and the other large stud on the new solenoid gets connected to the 24V
bar thats right there.

Under the dash, where the original relay was, you simply place a jumper
from the pin that goes to the ignition switch to the pin that went to the
starter's
solenoid (see above). This is no relay there now. We effectively moved it
under the hood.

What does all this do???
The new solenoid is far more robust, better able to handle
the starter initial surge current AND it is FAR less likely to have its
contacts weld close.
The new solenoid is driven with 12V from the ignition switch but it still
places the 24V that the starter actuator needs much more reliably.

Why does the newer starter draw more current???
It generates more cranking horsepower.

I kept the 24V system because I simply use it, so much so that I replaced
the original NATO one pin socket up front with the older 2 pin style.
My stuff and most of what I come across is the older 2 pin style.
I keep am adapter in the glove box should I need to do it to it
on anything newer.

If you do decide to go 12V, 28MT (gear reduction) starter,
I would still HIGHLY recommend this relay change.

Best of luck,
Ted H.

Stay well Ronzo, great seeing you!