Manual Glow Plug Button M1008- WAS: M1009 problems ???

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 06:52:09 PDT

Stu (and others),

My WAIT light gets it signal from the output of the glow plug solenoid, that
way I know when the glow plugs are getting power. If I release the botton and
the light stays on, so are the glow plugs. Or likewise, if I push the button
and the light does not come one (which has happened), I know I'm not getting
power to the GPs. I think my GP solenoid was sticking.

The dark blue wire from the glow plug controller feeds a ground to the WAIT
light. On my GP solenoid, there is a small orange wire that I connected to the
GP side of the solenoid. This feeds back to the GP controller. I removed the
controller card and put my relay in the empty box. I tapped off the wires with
those pinch-on connectors. I didn't want to cut them so the GP controller
could be reinstalled without having to rewire.

My pushbutton is connected between the black and light blue wires, which feeds
the ground to the GP solenoid. The positive is fed from the ingition switch.

On the relay I added, I fed the coil from the orange wire (+12V) and the other
side is grounded via one of the black wires. The contact side of that relay is
grounded on one side (using same ground as coil) and the other is connected to
that dark blue wire. This feeds the ground to the WAIT light when energized.
The positive is fed from the instrument panel.

I hope all this makes sense. If you have any questions, give me a hollar. I
can draw up a wiring diagram, if that would help.

Jeff

http://mail.yahoo.com