RE: M123A1C info

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 05:43:18 PDT

 Everette,

You are right about them being monsters. I drove one back from Fort
McCoy, Wisconsin to Fort Snelling, Minnesota about 30 years ago.
Bobtail, no trailer. Top speed was 42 miles per hour and a bit slower
going up hills. It was a warm summer day and it was like riding inside
of a cement mixer. Loud, hot, and lots of vibration.

Reminds me of a story that the Supply Sergeant in my Army Reserve unit,
at that time, told me. He was a Combat Engineer in Vietnam, and was
driving a 10 ton tractor-trailer, hauling a D7 dozer, from one job site
to another. It was a hot day, as most were in that country, and he had
set the throttle and was standing on the running board, with the drivers
door open, and steering the rig from there. At least that way he caught
some bit of a breeze. He had just climbed back into the drivers seat
when the left front wheel ran over a mine. The explosion blew the wheel
off of the truck, and the wheel took the running board with it, but he
was okay, other than being a little shook up. I think that he said that
the Motor Pool rebuilt the front end of the truck, and it went right
back out on the road. They are one tough, powerful vehicle.

John