Re: Increasing towing capacity of 800 series trucks?

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 16:10:18 PDT

If you aren't hauling commercially then an awful lot of stuff that
applies to commercial haulers does not apply. The problem with any
really heavy rig is that most insurers want to sell you a commercial
policy. If you are not a commercial carrier with an MC number, etc,
then you don't need carriers liability insurance at all. Also, if you
can get a military tractor, then at least in Indiana, you don't need
semi tractor plates to use it on the road as a private vehicle. In fact
per the law you don't need a plate at all. It just has to be
registered. Semi trailer plates are cheap, about $40/year or so here.

If you drive a normal semi tractor you can buy regular semi plates plus
the trailer plates for about $400.00/yr for a 50,000 lb GCWR rig.

The other thing to consider is that once you go over 55,000 lbs you are
suppose to pay the HUT or heavy vehicle use tax, which I think is
$500/yr now. I don't know how that law is written if that would apply
to non commercial vehicles or not??

Finally, as a commercial vehicle operator anything over 26,000 lbs has
to pay IFTA taxes on fuel.

Although the law is pretty vague regarding recreational use, I think
that most DOT and regular cops would have a problem with a person
driving a full blown semi without a CDL.

Actually the trick that Sonny did is probably the easiest way to get a
heavy hauler that doesn't cost a fortune. Make it an RV. After all
that is really what it is anyway if you are hauling your own stuff. The
commercial laws really don't apply to RV use at all.

The law is just so vague and the cops are on the tails of the commercial
guys so things get a bit dicey.

I'm setting up a rig right now that will be just less than the 55,000 lb
HUT limit, but it will be a full commercial rig, but without the IRP
plates. I'll just pay for permits I guess if I have to run out of
state. The IRP plates are just too expensive. I've already got the
IFTA stickers. That is more of an accounting problem than anything else.

Dave